Yesterday night marked the first debut of “treehouse sleeping mode.” What’s this you ask? Now that the weather is getting colder, treekids get into hibernation gear to hit the hay! Last night I slept in thick sweatpants, socks that went up to knees, a shirt and a fleece…and still around midnight I seriously contemplated getting out of my bed to find my skiing hat. So cold. However, curling up in a ball to preserve my own body heat under my wool comforter seemed like the better option. I fell asleep eventually, but brought up my complaint to my house mates at lunch today. Here’s some tips for staying warm treehouse-style at bedtime:
1) Drink hot tea before bed
2) Do some jumping jacks or a quick sprint around the house to get that body temperature up.
3) Crawl into bed with someone ( I seriously contemplated doing that to my roommate… didn’t think she’d notice…)
4) Elena’s idea: invest in a tree-dog or tree-cat (There are plenty stray cats that would love a warm bed as much as you’d love there body heat. Check around Louther Street. Also check for mangy patches…)
5) Elena’s idea: Start a small fire at the base of your bed, just enough to get feeling in those toes… plead innocent when DPS shows up later that night.
6) Prepare a turkey in the oven and then take it into bed with you. You get both the benefit of the heat from the turkey and the smell of turkey as you’re drifting off. Second Dinner anyone?
7) Elena’s idea: Grow a beard! If only, my face would be so much warmer!!
But in all seriousness, I still am glad that my house is dedicated to using less heating energy by keeping our thermostat down! A little chilliness is nothing compared to the reduction we make in our houses carbon footprint, and we get to practice our layering skills every night.